Welcome to my crazy and convoluted life and mind!

Sometimes I make sense. Sometimes I don't. But at least I find myself very entertaining!

Monday, March 5, 2012

Going Organic on $200 a week....WTH?!!!!


Okay, I have a confession to make.  I go organic when there is a sale.  I have never made the intentional effort to go completely organic.  When people use economics as the reason not to eat more healthily, I guffaw!  Puhleeezzze!  It costs less than buying all that processed and fast food.  So I didn't really consider how going organic was going to change the way I buy groceries.  This is my first week in and I see my approach to meal planning and shopping already changing.
First, organic does go bad faster.  Which is fine and even comforting.  How can I trust chicken that lasts for two weeks?  There must be something in it.....like ammonia! (which I found to be a true statement upon further investigation) So I can only buy what I need and go shopping twice a week.  Okay I can handle that.  That usually happens anyway, even to the most prepared of us. I also only buy what I need because it is a little more expensive.  Americans throw away 40% of their food anyway.  What if we bought only what we needed and actually ate what we bought?  Now there is a new concept.  Our grocery bill would be the same or less.  We would be healthier and it would be better for the environment.  Sounds like a win/win to me.
So after taking a survey of what I already had in stock, I planned our week's menu; Curry Squash with rice, Chicken  breast with sweet potato salad and greens, and pasta with Cauliflower and pancetta. Then of course bread, which I make, fruit for snacks and lunches, eggs, milk, almond milk, coconut milk to make yogurt, and organic Mac and cheese for when I feel lazy.  (Okay, sometimes there is prepared food in my house.  Sue me.) I only planned for 3 full meals. If anyone complains in my house about eating leftovers, they can just suck it!
I went shopping last night and spent $158 for the week.  I didn't go to PCC which kind of made it harder for me.  They didn't have any organic sweetened condensed milk for my coffee.  But I didn't give in.  I am going to use my organic cane sugar instead.  And resisting the sales was a little hard for me.  But I stuck to my list and got out of there for under my $200 weekly budget.  I left myself a little wiggle room for later on in the week.  (PCC has organic sweetened condensed milk, which I will be getting.  Hello!  Don't mess with my morning coffee routine.) My refrigerator is a little empty but I know I will use all that food.  I even got myself a little treat of coconut water! I saved a little money and bought frozen organic squash.  Who wants to slice and cube a fresh butternut squash anyway.
We will see how I do this week and if my minimalist approach is going to work and feed a family of five.  I do know that when there is nothing else to munch on, my girls will slice up a red bell pepper and think they hit the jack pot of snacks.  I am also trying to use up all the stuff in the pantry.  I want an empty pantry by the end of this month.  I think it is possible to eat all organic on a budget.  We just have to be more conscientious about the choices we make.  If it costs a lot, it makes it a little more painful to be wasteful.  If I will spend over $4 for a latte, why wouldn't I spend that much on some apples that would last me a few days.  Speaking of which, organic Fuji apples are only $1.49 per pound at Metropolitan Market and they are crispy yummy!


Recipe of the week

Bread machine bread

1 cup milk with 2 tbsp vinegar (let it sit for 10 min.)
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp oil
2 1/2 tsp yeast
1 tsp salt

Put all ingredients in bread maker and select white bread option.  Perfection every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment