Welcome to my crazy and convoluted life and mind!

Sometimes I make sense. Sometimes I don't. But at least I find myself very entertaining!

Monday, April 18, 2011

Planning ahead sucks!

So I have just returned from Puerto Rico.  I know.  I know.  Poor little me.  It was awful!......to return that is.  The kids stayed behind with my cousin, Tanya so that meant I had to plan meals that she could cook and stay in my budget of $100 a week.  Luckily, Tanya is a little granola cutie that had no problem making bread or anything else from scratch.  The hard part was not to over buy and also all my staples were due to be replaced Costco style.  I did go over my budget for the last week, but I figure if I only spend $30 dollars this week, I can make up for it.  Yeah, right!
I had to replace sugar, flour, yeast, peanut butter, fruit leathers (I haven't quite figured out how to make those yet) vitamins, and jam.  I also had a fragrance consultation party the night before I left so I had to provide margaritas and chips with guacamole and salsa. But this kind of thing is not unusual.  We all have parties to provide extra food for and we all have those weeks where we need to replenish the basics.  In the past I have just accepted that fact, but I have never planned for it nor have I ever tried to make it fit into a budget.  
I again looked at what I had and planned my meals around that.  I still had chicken breasts and prawns.  I also still had corn tortillas.  I knew if I bought some vegetable medley thingys from Trader Joe's that Tanya could make stir fry, pasta, and bean enchiladas.  She did run out of milk.  I forgot to tell her that she has to stop Zoe from drinking milk because that girl will drink a gallon in one day.  Which she did and they were out of milk by Thursday.  Tanya did awesome and the fridge was pretty empty when we returned.  She even spoiled them and made them chocolate chip muffins for breakfast.  Yeah! I know! I want her to stay with me forever too!
I spent $113 at Costco and $57 at Trader Joe's bringing last weeks total to $170.  That means I am $70 over budget so I am going to have to borrow a little from the remaining weeks.  I guess that could be considered cheating, but I never said that I couldn't borrow from another week.  I could do this a few different ways.  I could only leave us $30 for this week and we would be even by the end of this week.  Or I could spend $60 this week and $70 next week which might be a little more doable.  I have spent $10 so far this week and I am going to push my grocery shopping as far into this week as possible.  I still have chicken breast and prawns, frozen blueberries and strawberries, refried beans and cheese, tomato soup, zucchini, peas, and salad mix.  I have oatmeal and pancakes and of course homemade bread so I figure I can make it through at least 2 more days.  I want to go shopping because I like to have eggs for breakfast, but quinoa porridge is really yummy.  I just have to let go of eating what I am in the mood to eat and eat what we have.
Switching this paradigm in my mind is the hardest.  I love having my egg sandwiches in the morning!  I love having my paninis for lunch and whatever I feel like for dinner.  I have a full pantry.  I imagine many of us do!  And all this food is just sitting there.  I would like to deplete my pantry; to actually use all of the food I have.  Now that would be something! I challenge all of you this week to do the same.  Let's empty our pantries together and make this world a better place!

Recipe of the week    Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
1 huge can of whole tomatoes
1 cup frozen or fresh onions
1 cube butter
1 cup white wine
Italian spices
Sautee up onion in butter until softened.  Put in slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.  When done, puree soup.  Eat up.  This soup is the bomb.  It is really good with leftover roasted chicken and cheese in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment