Welcome to my crazy and convoluted life and mind!

Sometimes I make sense. Sometimes I don't. But at least I find myself very entertaining!

Monday, May 2, 2011

Hotmamalolo is alive and in budget!

Many of my peeps have been asking where hotmamlolo has been.  She has been getting her ass kicked, but in a good way.  I had wanted to give a detailed update on my grocery endeavor of a $100 a week budget for the month of April, but since the husband has taken the receipts with him to enter into his little budget thingy, I can't give the details.  I can tell you that I only went $20 over for the entire month and that is with having a party, going on vacation, and having the in-laws in town over Easter weekend.  Technically, the food for the party should have come out of my business account which would have kept me in budget....but we can just keep that on the down low for the time being.  Yep, I think it can be said that I pretty much rocked it.  As soon as I get my hands on those receipts to help me jog my memory, I will give you the details.  I can tell you that I made bread almost every day, did not buy processed foods, used what I had in my pantry to plan meals, and bought frozen vegetables where it wouldn't drive me crazy to not have fresh like onions and peppers.  My pantry and freezer are completely empty and I will be making a Costco trip this week to stock back up and am interested in seeing how I can make that balance out.  My mind set has shifted a little and it isn't only about what I am in the mood for.  The husband is very happy and has almost given me a compliment about it.
Oh, and I was just given a yogurt maker (thank you gym kittens!) so I am very excited about that!

yummy recipe of the week
Make some quinoa according to directions. Make a lot.
This makes a yummy breakfast!
I make a cereal out of this and put coconut milk, pecans, coconut, banana, and a little brown rice syrup on it. yummy!  It is so good for you and sticks to your guts.  Also, this is a great meal if you are on a detox.  You can always change it up and use real milk and brown sugar if you want, but the coconut milk on it is AWESOMENESS!
You can use the leftovers to make a lunch or dinner too.  Toss the quinoa with prawns, tomatoes, basil, pistachios, red onion, juice of 1 lime, and cumin and you have a quinoa tabbouli.  It is so good and has a low glycemic index so it will sustain your blood sugar for a long period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment