Welcome to my crazy and convoluted life and mind!

Sometimes I make sense. Sometimes I don't. But at least I find myself very entertaining!

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I was that girl!

I have been on a jelly shot creating rampage lately.  I have a plan and this plan is the one to make me lots of money.  I am sure of it!  And it has to do with creating the best jelly shots ever!  For those of you who don't know what jelly shots are, they are Jell-o shots, but I call them jelly shots because I don't use Jell-o brand gelatin.  Anyhoo, I have learned a lot about jelly shots in the past few weeks!
First and foremost, there has been a scientific study on jelly shots and the amount of alcohol one can actually use before the gelatin loses it's gelling ability. http://www.myscienceproject.org/j-shot.html
It is a lot more than one would think! I, of course, found this after I had already done some experimenting.  The second thing I learned, was that just because you could add more alcohol to the shot didn't necessarily mean that you should!  And here is the story of how I learned this very important lesson.
I usually don't go out on Cinco de mayo, but this year was different.  I was going out with some friends and going to listen to a great Salsa band.  I got all gussied up, picked up a couple of my friends and showed them my different jelly shots that were displayed in a pretty little box.  We proceeded to eat them and then share some Hornitos in the car before we went in the bar.  I would have never drank in a car when I was younger, but now that I am older and budget minded, I will so pre-funk in the car!  We met the others and shared some more jelly shots and drank a little more.  Then we shared the jelly shots we had left with other people in the bar.  The good news is people were asking me for my card and where my shop was so they could get more.  The bad news is I didn't realize how much alcohol was in what I was eating and within an hour and a half the walls were spinning and I was that girl in the bathroom throwing up.  I was that 41 year old woman, in the bathroom throwing up.  The one that other random women were bringing water to and making sure that strange men were not trying to cozy up to.  The one who had to leave the bar and didn't even get to see her band play.  Yep!  I haven't been that girl in twenty something years and there I was.  It was awful!
I still do not want to drink.  Hay Dios mio!  And now it is funny.....kind of.  I now look at that night as a very important learning experiment.  Jelly shots are yummy and awesome!  But they don't have to be as strong as possible.  And it is really important after teaching spin, going for a run and working in the yard all day to EAT!  Yes.  That is what I did to myself.  However, this 21 year old in a 41 year old body did not let all go to hell.  I did make it to Dick's Drive In Burgers for the traditional hang over lunch.
So when my jelly shots and tapas recipe book comes out and you buy it....(remember my plan to get rich? This is it.) EAT RESPONSIBLY!
                                                 Coconut Key Lime Pie Jelly Shot

No comments:

Post a Comment